Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Are we nuts??


So we have come to the realization that staying in this country is just not possible. Well, possible yes, but the best for our future, and that of our children, no. We simply cannot make enough money to save a cent, nor can continue to send our children to the school in which we want. We thought we could, we thought we would, we can't.

My husband and I have made an agreement. We go on the trip he has always dreamed of, well, a few notches below of the actual dream, but a huge trip, and see Argentina, and then we will go back to the United States.

Then it became the time to tell our parents. The responses were as follows...
my mom - really, well that's good news. Where will you live when you come back? I guess Facundo is happy that you guys will be travelling before you come back.

my dad - long pause - I couldn't be happier! (I don't think he really heard too much about the trip, and took the fears that he had for us coming here, and measured them against the trip, and decided not to say anything about his fears, in fear that we might decide to stay).

my father in law - great, you shouldn't stay here, and you should go and see the country; but not how you are planning, buy vacation packages, and go to one place and come back, and go on another. Regardless, when you are all done, you both need to go to therapy to figure out why you are so crazy.

my older brother - whatever, don't worry about it, the kids were happy here before you left, they will be happy here again.

my sister in law - good luck

my younger brother in law - dad, I want to have an asado here next weekend to celebrate getting our house in the country back.

my youngest brother in law - still not talking to me

my oldest brother - I will keep you updated when I tell him!

But are we nuts?? That is the question. We moved here because my mother in law was sick, and that was an invaluable experience that we will never regret or look back on negatively. We thought we would stay, but realized we shouldn't. It has been 4 months now of being here, and we will leave after having been here for a total 7 months.

Our plan is to travel south, and then north, spanning anywhere from a month to two, with two back packs, two children, and bus and train tickets. We leave on Friday the 23rd of March.

My husband has become obsessed with trying to figure out exactly what places to go and visit, where I just want to decide from one place to the next. The south will be cold, but I don't want to miss too much. Hopefully we will get to Puerto Madryn before the whales and penguins leave. Hopefully my kids will learn how to behave a little better in public, and will remember every detail of this trip, and cherish it forever. Hopefully nothing bad will happen, and if it does that we have made appropriate preparations with our gear. Hopefully this trip will help us figure out what we are supposed to be doing with our lives. Hopefully we don't freeze in the south, or scorch in the north. Hopefully nature, books, music, and family time will be enough to keep my kids entertained, and educated.

Well the trip is already planned, the bags are packed, the kids are excited, so we'll just have to see if crazy is a word that will define our family.

4 comments:

tojourneyon said...

Hi- It sound like you are both young parents. My wife and I are definitely planning on traveling through central and south america over the next few years. I would like to hear about your travels and see digital pictures in Argentina. You have a great opportunity to travel, learn and find something that may direct your life journey. Make the most of your trip. Had you ever thought about staying with others through couchsurfing.com or hospitalityclub.org. Having children makes the journey a little more of a challenge though- but it will be great overall I am sure. Best wishes in your travels.

Roger

girlenargentina said...

Roger,
Thanks for leaving my first comment!!! I am a young parent, and my husband well, he is young, but not so young to not know what he wants to do. In the states we both had professions, but we had to come here and give it up, due to my mother in law being ill.

I checked out those two websites, and the idea behind them is great, but arriving at some one's home with my two children is asking a lot, but I will say that when we settle in back in the states, we would be more than happy to host people in our home.
´
Thanks again! Tomorrow is the big departure!!

Jessica

gaspy said...

Bon voyage! ... y buena suerte!

And remember, "It's no measure of health to be sane in an insane society."

Maybe you've got your head on straight and everyone around you is crazy. ;-)

If you come through Capital Federal maybe you could email me - uruk(at)fibertel.com.ar ... maybe we can share a meal, without the alcohol burner, and share some past experiences. I'm married to Argentina as well... been here for four months.

Anyway, if this doesnt reach you before your departure then hopefully you stop to check your blog along the way.

girlenargentina said...

Thanks Meme! We left BA on Friday, and we are now in Viedma! I will take you up on the lunch when we get back!

Jessica